Hi all - I am doing this for everyone I care about.
I am doing my first 100 mile single day ride in August and have made my own financial committment to the fundraising I am hoping others will join me in.
1. If you know me, you know my cancer story. I would not be here right now without research. You also know I and some of you have lost some pretty special people in the past several years. You also know that many more of us will be diagnosed with a cancer. (simply based upon the numbers and what many of us have actually witnessed)
2. We are only now learning how cancer metastasizes (spreads) and we're not there yet.
3. Fred Hutchinson is a non-profit! The scientists don't get rich here. They come from our state and around the world to do this work. Every source of funds provides the supplies, the hours/people, the machines, everything to do the research. They share what they learn with other researchers. They consider cost effectiveness of and accessibility to studies and treatments.
4. 100% of every dollar donated to this event goes to the research. None of it is used for fundraising overhead.
5. The power of your individual donation. It all adds up. Riders and individuals like you raised $2.6 million in 2018 for cancer reserach. (thank you)
6. Fun fact. Fred Hutch pioneered the HPV vaccination. Now, most of our kids are getting this to prevent one cancer. There is a recent study looking at a breast cancer vaccine. (gee, wouldn't the 1 in 10 of us that will be diagnosed love to have this)
I hope you will find this worthwhile and find a few bucks to donate. Thank you!